Volunteer for Us
Volunteers play an important role in making sure Laramie County Library achieves its mission. The time and service volunteers provide is critical to the library. Volunteers share their talents and provide the manpower that ensures the library’s success. Each volunteer is very important to the library staff, and it is through the help of volunteers that Laramie County Library can provide even better customer service to patrons.
Docents give tours of the library to groups and individuals. They are specially trained to draw attention to unique features of the building and highlight the various resources the library offers.
Book Sale Room
The Book Sale Room houses a wide variety of used books, magazines, DVDs, CDs and some electronics. These items have been discarded from the library’s collection or donated to the library by patrons. Volunteers operate the Book Sale Room, sort donations, shelve books, work the cash register and sell items. The Book Sale Room is located on the first floor next to the blue copy/print room.
Monday—Thursday: 10:30 am to 8:30 pm
Friday—Saturday: 10:30 am to 5:30 pm
Sunday: 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm
The library hosts exhibits, crafts, activities, meetings, book clubs and many other events especially planned for our community members. Volunteers are needed to help set-up events, organize activities, direct and monitor participants, serve refreshments and other tasks as needed.
Clerical duties involve making copies, collating, folding calendars, mailing notifications, locating missing books and other miscellaneous jobs. All these tasks are important to guarantee the library runs smoothly and efficiently.
Teen Advisory Board
The Laramie County Library System’s Teen Advisory Board (TAB) is composed of students in grades 7-12. TAB gives teens the opportunity to express ideas, get involved in the community and improve resumes and college applications.
For more information visit Teen Advisory Board.
Laramie County Library benefits tremendously from its volunteers. However, volunteering can be rewarding for the individual, as well.
As a library volunteer, you will have opportunities for:
- Personal growth
- Work experience
- Job references
- Community involvement
- Learning about Laramie County Library and all its valuable resources
In addition, you may also qualify for staff privileges:
- After six months of consistent volunteering, you may place personal orders for books through Technical Services at a generally discounted price of 40%.
- After six months of volunteering with at least 12 hours of service, your library card can have staff privileges. You may check out DVDs, video games or video recordings and the 35 mm projector for a 24-hour period for free. You are not charged overdue fees for printed materials.
- Converting your library card to staff privilege is optional. You may remain at the present status. If you are under 18, you may need parental consent to change the privilege level of your card.
How to Volunteer
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years old.
- Volunteers under age 18 must have a parent or guardian submit a Parental Consent Form before they can start.
- Volunteer application forms are available at each Ask Here desk or using our Online Form. Please complete and return this form to the library, where it will be evaluated by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator for a personal interview so that a position can be determined.
For more information:
Amber McDaniel, Volunteer Coordinator